Thursday, February 4, 2010

Super Bowl Shuffling

So I generally don't gamble on sports. I did a suicide pool this year and was out in week 8 of 17. I tried to do a March Madness style bracket this year for the finals and I came out at about 50 percent the first week. But the next few broke me, especially as I had the Cardinals going all the way against the Chargers or Colts. Yeah, that didn't happen. I try not to gamble on my own team because you're directly tempting fate and the sports gods. If you bet on your own team, you're jinxing them, and you can't bet against your team because then you're an asshole who hates the game. It's very complex.

In picking super bowl winners, I've gone about 50 percent the last several years, and if memory serves, this is the year I'm supposed to be right. But the question is were my picks based on love/luck or smart football? That is, am I picking the Saints to win because of the fact I less hate their team, or am I picking the Colts because I think they're better?

In 2006, Steelers v. Seahawks, I want to say I chose Steelers for that game, but I really wasn't too interested in the game. In 2007, I chose the Bears and lost badly. You have to support your team, even when things look bleak. And brother, that game was bleak. In 2008, I wanted the Giants to win more than anything because I really hate Boston. And I'm not sure if the magic came from their actual abilities or my drinking some sort of magic beer, but the Giants pulled it out. In 2009 I wanted the Cardinals to win, mainly because I liked Kurt Warner and their offense more than Pittsburgh. Steeler defense won out, so I was wrong there. What this seems to be telling me is that the team I want to win is the one that's gonna win.

I have nothing personal against Manning or his fivehead. But his fans are so damn annoying at times, and all the articles I've read about the whole thing keep having commenters/authors/everyone talking about the great city of Indianapolis. Listen, I've been there at least 12 times in the last 9 years. Every time I go there I encounter one emotion. Blah. It's a blah city in a blah state full of blah people who enjoy blah things and there is nothing to blah-ing do there. So blah them and blah Indianapolis.

Meanwhile, hey, did you hear about some sort of hurricane that hit New Orleans at one point? Yeah, I totally just heard about it! Whoever knew that happened? But seriously, I got nothing against New Orleans, and I do like jazz and spicy food, so there is that.

Football wise, I think the Colts are a better team. Better offense, better defense. Special teams is won by NO, and the NO players are healthy. I guess what it all comes down to is gut feeling, and the fact that Indianapolis is so blah has bored my gut. I'm going with the Saints.

No comments:

Post a Comment