Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Mix CDs

So I still have a CD player that I use. I still buy CDs, I still burn them, and I still use the player. Yes, I should enter 2001 and get an iPod (yeah, they really are that old) but I keep it around for several reasons.

First, it's a part of me. I used it in high school mowing the lawn, listening to Beatles CDs, I ran with it in college listening to The Ataris and my first attempts at mix tapes, I kept using it in grad school for running and better tapes, and I use it almost daily when I go running now. Surprisingly, it doesn't skip much, and further surprisingly, it doesnt eat batteries as much as I would think. I buy all sorts of songs on iTunes (yes I would pirate but a) my parents will pay the 5-7 bucks a month in credit card bills (seriously, thats like all i ever charge) and b) ive had enough of my dad's comments on how the government/RIAA is going to sue me) but when I make mixtapes for running, it's a very simple process.

First, I scroll through my entire list of music on iTunes. I've got 12.5 days (not as much as Tim's LITERAL month of music) so it takes some time to get through. In the end, though, it breaks down to roughly 5-6 hours maximum. The weird thing is that about 98% of the songs are the same every time. A few rap, some pop, but a lot of hard rock. So much hard rock, as it gets the blood moving and pumping. AC/DC and Van Halen are usually on there, some Gnarls Barkley, JayZ/Linkin Park, a Kanye or two, and Springsteen.

As for what ends up on the newest mix CD? Well, it's often dependant on mood, but 90 percent of the time, Jump or Panama is there, one JayZ/Linkin Park, Mama Said Knock You Out, and one AC/DC song. Crazy Train was there for a while, disappeared, and just made a reappearance on my newest one. Weapon of Choice was on two CDs I listened to for the last 6 months, but disappeared this latest time. The initial culling from 5 hours to 2 is usually easy. But its that last hour or so that things get difficult. There's so many good songs, and it's really hard to figure out what song is going to go great while running down the street in the afternoon. As for what those actually are? I'm not sure at the moment. I'll let you know next time I update.

No comments:

Post a Comment